How to Prepare for Your MRI Scan
Prior to your scan:
Due to the magnetic field it may not be possible or safe to have an MRI scan. Please contact our office prior to your scan if you have any of the following:
- Cardiac Pacemaker or Cardiac Defibrillator
- Surgical Clips (particularly brain aneurysm clips)
- Artificial heart valves
- Metal fragments in you eyes (x-ray of orbital’s will need to be done before)
- Metal Shrapnel, imbedded bullets or BB Pellets
- Electronic stimulators
- Implanted Pumps
Our office is able to safely scan patients with:
- Dental fillings and bridges
- Hip and knee replacements
- Tubal ligation
- Breast biopsy clips
- Orthopedic rods & screws ( these can oftentimes be scanned safely)
What to Do on the Day of Your Scan
- You may eat or drink as normal.
- Do not wear anything metallic. Before the scan you will be asked to remove your jewelry, watch, keys, coins, credit cards and phone. Items often overlooked include hairpins, barrettes, belly button rings, toe rings and other piercings that will need to be removed. Our office is equipped with lockers for your convenience.
- Most MRI scans take between 25-60 minutes depending on your scan. Please make sure that you take all medications that were prescribed by your doctor before your visit.
- Please arrive to the office 30 minutes early to complete our registration process.
You may also download our printable forms that can be completed prior to your arrival:
MR Images are very sensitive to movement. By keeping very still during the scan you can improve the quality of the images obtained and decrease the time of your exam.
For any additional questions, please contact an MRI Representative at (757) 926-4351.For more information on our Open MRI, please read the MRI FAQs.
730 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 120
Newport News, Virginia 23606
Phone: (757) 926-4351
Monday through Friday: 7:00am-10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am-6:00pm
Request An Appointment
Please note that our office does charge a $50 fee for missed appointments or cancelled appointments with less than 24 hours notice. Click here for a list of the most frequent insurances accepted by our facility. Please note we also accept patients without insurance. For more information on this, please contact an MRI Representative.