Stem Cell Therapy Center
We are proud to offer state-of-the-art regenerative medicine and stem cell therapies to Hampton Roads and the surrounding areas. Our specialists, Drs. Jeremy Hoff, Kinjal Sohagia and Scott Bradley are dedicated to helping you use your own stem cells to heal orthopaedic related injuries, improve your quality of life, and battle acute pain. Whether you have a sports related injury or osteoarthritis, the practice of regenerative medicine and stem cell therapy has provided a new means of medical treatment.
These therapies include:
- Adipose Stem Cell Therapy
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy, commonly referred to as “PRP” therapy
- Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate, commonly referred to as BMAC
Why Choose Stem Cell Therapy?
Adult stem cells have been helping patients heal their own body by treating painful orthopaedic injuries of the knees, hips, shoulders, feet/ankles or spinal disc injuries. Stem cell therapy offers an excellent option for treating ailments that have not improved following conservative, non-surgical treatments including rest, medications, other injections, and physical therapy. Many patients choose stem cell therapy after exhausting all other remedies and want an alternative to invasive surgery.
Would I be a good candidate for Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cell therapy maybe recommended for patients who have a sports related injury or overuse injury, pain from osteoarthritis of the joints, and back and neck pain. Typically stem cell therapy is recommended for patients who have failed other treatments rest, medications, other injections, and physical therapy. Stem cell therapy can provide pain relief and help to heal orthopaedic ailments without surgery.
To determine if you are a good candidate for stem cell therapy, Drs. Jeremy Hoff, Kinjal Sohagia and Scott Bradley will review your medical history, perform a physical examination, and determine whether X-rays and/or an MRI are needed.
Adipose Stem Cell Therapy
The use of adipose tissue has taken on increasing importance in the field of stem cell therapy. This therapy produces a purified adipose tissue graft which is ready to use in a variety of orthopedic and regenerative applications. This graft is known as “Lipoaspirate” which means “from your own body.”
- A small sample of adipose tissue is obtained from the abdomen (love handles) through a quick liposuction procedure.
- The adipose will be placed into a device called SmartPrep that will separate the stem cells from the adipose tissue.
- The stem cells will then be injected back into your body in the area of damage or injury.
- The entire procedure is performed in office and takes about 45 minutes.
- High Yield: A tremendously therapeutic dose of regenerative stem cells can be obtained and activated in the body within just a couple hours.
- Stem Cell yields from abdominal fat are much higher than from bone marrow.
- Patients receive their own cells so there is no risk of immune rejection.
- Minimally invasive outpatient procedure, easier to harvest from fat than from bone marrow and more comfortable for patients.
Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP)
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has been provided and used regularly at HROSM for several years to help treat a variety of orthopaedic related injuries. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and involves injecting PRP into the patient’s area of injury. Platelets are tiny cells containing thousands of growth factors that control and regulate the natural healing process by recruiting stem cells to the injured site. These platelets are obtained by a simple blood draw from the patient. Once the blood is extracted, it is spun in a centrifuge to obtain the highest concentration of nutrients possible. These platelets, concentrated growth factors, are then injected at the site of injury or pain. Over the next two to three months, the platelets begin a natural healing process of the injured site.
Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC)
What Is Bone Marrow?
Bone marrow is the spongy tissue found in the center of bones. Its main job is to make blood cells that circulate in your body, which include immune cells that recognize foreign invaders and fight infection. Bone marrow is unique in that it contains a rich supply of a broad range of stem cells. The cells found in concentrated bone marrow aspirate (BMA) have been shown to support repair or growth of bone, cartilage, muscle, marrow, tendons, ligaments and connective tissue.
What Is Concentrated Bone Marrow?
Bone marrow is drawn (aspirated) using a procedure that is less invasive than an open bone graft. Bone marrow is commonly taken from the pelvis, but it may be taken from other sites as well. A sample of bone marrow is removed and then spun in a centrifuge to isolate and concentrate the stem cells, which creates concentrated bone marrow. The physician then delivers the concentrated bone marrow directly into the application site on your body.
Areas of Treatment:
PRP injections can be performed in arthritic joints, injured muscles, tendons and ligaments all over the body. Some examples include:
- Sports injuries
• Arthritic joints
• Ligament and meniscal tears
• Labral tears including rotator cuff
• Cartilage tears
• Overuse syndromes
• Finger, toe, hand, foot, and ankle
• Tennis and golfer’s elbow